Tuesday, February 27, 2007

American Idol - top 10 men/boys/guys

Let's break it on down:

Phil Stacy - Why do I like this guy? Because he's a pastor's kid? Mmm, I don't think so. I do wish he would go back to wearing a cap - sorry! It's just a tad unnerving. OK, so the first line made me perk up my ears - it was really good. Then, from there until the chorus it was semi-shaky. The bridge and ending was really good. His tone is so, so nice. And I just found out that his dad apparently pastors a church here in Hendersonville. Who knew?

Jarod Cotter - This guy was much better this week. His song - though overdone - was a better pick for him. However, he was a little boring with it... unless you were looking right at him. The guy is cute, and that will get him down the road easier than his voice.

AJ Tabaldo - He has really surprised me! He's so expressive with his voice and has close to immaculate pitch. Thank you, AJ!!!! He did "Feeling Good" and absolutely made it is own, which is not an easy task. I would buy his CD. I'll just say that right now.

Sanjaya - I can say with some certainty that Sanjaya is going home. When you're 17, for heaven's sake, don't keep doing songs that make you seem 85 yrs old. This dude has a good voice - he is on pitch and has a great tone - but he has proven 2 weeks in a row that he can't pick the right songs.

Chris Sligh - Not my favorite song... but still one of my favorite singers. I like his confidence and I like his voice. He was very subdued this week - no wisecracks. I miss the wisecracks! Bring them back!

Nick Pedro - I just love Nick's voice. His stage presence - or lack of - KILLED me last week. He literally looked like a wet dish rag. ANYWHO... he completely redeemed himself this week. I loved his voice on this song. His tone makes me melt. (Not in THAT way... get your mind outta the gutter. I'm speaking musically.)

Blake Lewis - Hands down, he's the best. No one can touch him. Simon's an idiot on this one. Even if it was a carbon copy of Jamiroquai's Jason Kay, he's one of 2 - maybe 3 - guys on the show that could even pull THAT off. I like him. And for the record, he's made me start liking beat-boxing. Never thought I'd say that.

[side note - Paula looks better this week. I can see her eyes.]

Brandon Rogers - I don't think this was the best song for him. I love love love the song, and it has become quite the popular song to cover of late. However, for him, he needed something more. Come on, Brandon. Kick it up a notch. Simon, you're a butt tonight. I wanted to use another word, but I know Aaron will read this.

Chris Richardson - Hmmm, Chris must not have read my blog from last week. I suggested that he keep the mic in front of his mouth while he's bopping around. He had trouble again this week with that. What he DIDN'T have trouble with, however, was rockin it out to Jason Mraz. After seeing his performance, I have to say that he actually did better than Blake. For tonight's purposes only, I put him in 1st place. Nice.

Sundance Head - I really liked him in the first audition. Did I say that last week? Anyway... I think... ok, we had Bo 2 years ago... we had Taylor last year. This year, it's not about the rockers. Sorry. You're good at what you do. But it's about Blake, Chris R, Chris S and AJ this year. Maybe even Brandon if he can shake it off.

For this week, here are my standings:
1) Chris Richards
2) Blake Lewis
3) AJ Tabaldo
4) Nick Pedro
5) Jarod Cotter
6) Chris Sligh
7) Phil Stacey
8) Brandon Rogers
9) Sundance Head
10) Sanjaya Malakar
This does not reflect my overall view on the men.

No comments: