Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Who will butcher Tony Bennett???

Let the games begin... Good God, could we start with Simon buttoning his shirt? My eyes! My eyes!

Blake - "Mack the Knife" Soft Gangster, Mr. Bennett? Ok, moving on. I KNEW Blake would do well with this genre. He is a crooner at heart. I'm liking the attire. Bravo!!! He tore it up. He seriously, totally, completely rocked it out. Pitch problems, Randy? Shut up. "Hip cat" said Paula. I'll buy that. 7 out of 10, Simon? From you, alright. He did better with the #1 spot than anyone has in quite a few weeks. Nice.

Phil - "Night and Day" Is Phil growing his hair out? Wouldn't this have been the perfect night for Phil to wear a hat? Ok, I'm done talking about Phil's head. Wow, I really think he sounds nice on this! I'm surprised, because I thought he would maybe not do as well with this. There were a few spots where he could've done a little more umph and kept the pitch a little more steady...

Melinda - "I've Got Rhythym" [sarcasm alert] Mr. Bennett said Melinda was the best singer all day... and Melinda was SHOCKED. Wow. She's never heard anything like that. Ok, on to the singing. Quite possibly the BEST singing EVER in the American Idol competition, all 6 seasons. Seriously. [Oh, Simon, PLEASE button up your shirt. Gag.] I predicted that Melinda would clean house tonight, and she does not disappoint.

[May I just interject how fun it is to watch this show with my dear friends/family Shelby, Scott, and Sherry!!!!]

Chris - "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" He starts out dancing - and it looks cool. Instead of staying true to the genre, Chris is trying to put his own spin on it. Bottom line, he is way out of his league. Randy, are you on crack tonight? Paula, I know you are. Compared to Blake and Melinda, he wasn't even close. The judges liked it. I agree that it was pretty entertaining - his voice is just not smooth enough for this genre, in my very humble opinion. Chris has been one of my faves from the beginning, but I am running on fumes in the compliment department with him. His voice sounded tired.

Jordin - "On a Clear Day" I had predicted that Jordin would do well with Mr. Bennett tonight, but I didn't think she sounded that great. The beginning of the song was not that great.... but then she got cooking. When she sings the word "Clear" she pinches the sound and gets a funky vibrato thing going on. The middle of the song was by far the shining part. The beginning and end were not the be all and end all for me. But that's just me. I'm aware that there are gobs of Jordin fans out there. She's not going anywhere.

Gina - "Smile" Wah! Tony Bennett is making me cry. He is so sweet... and he reminds me of my daddy. I had very little hope for Gina being able to pull this genre off is she had tried to adapt it to her rocker-self. But, she sang her butt off and showed emotion and was great. I didn't care for her look. The braided hair was distracting to me. Last week was the pinnacle for Gina, but this week was good vocally, too.

Sanjaya - More than ever, this little boy is weirding me out. This week was worse than the pony-hawk for me. EWW! I'm sorry, but the weird stubble and slicked-back hair is just down-right creepy. Ok, did I just see what I think I saw? After Simon patronizingly said "Incredible", the little boy responded with "Welcome to the universe of Sanjaya!" Oh yes he did. I ran it back and watched it again to be sure. One quick thought about his singing before moving on. Honestly, if Sanjaya would STAND STILL and sing, he wouldn't be half-bad. He was so out of tune throughout most of the song ot was pathetic. He could even get the hook line of the song - "Heaven" right. Just stand still and sing.

Haley - "Ain't Misbehaving" As she has done in the past, Haley started out singing well. I actually thought she sang the best ever... for her. But, who in the crud can get past her cleavage and hemline??? Get some clothes on, girl. I am just OFFENDED that she would pull the T&A stunt week after week and subject us to her sleaziness. And how much longer will America fall for it? I can't believe the judges had so little to say about her. That was just weird.

Lakisha - "Stormy Weather" Now, that was awesome. I had become quite bored with Lakisha's performances. She is awesome, but was just playing it safe. This week, she got back to the Kiki we all love. Sassy is right. Kudos for the dress and chocolate lipstick. Loved it.

Here is my gut-level reaction for this week:

1) Melinda - if she ever deserved 1st place, it's this week
2) Blake - I was a fan before, but now I'm a believer
3) Lakisha - Mama hit a home run
4) Haley - yes, that's right... if I closed my eyes, she didn't sound bad
5) Gina - again, if I closed my eyes, she was really good
6) Jordin - the middle of the song saved her from being in my bottom 3
7) Phil - pleasantly surprised, but still bottom 3 this week from me
8) Chris - not the best vocals, but an "A" for effort
9) Sanjaya - there are no words. Just BAD. Reminds me of Michael Jackson.

Who SHOULD go home? I have no qualms saying "the universe that is Sanjaya" should spontaneously combust.

Who will probably go home? Phil or Gina. I hate to see Phil go and I hope he doesn't, but he just might.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Hey Beth!

LOL - Charlie commented on Simon's shirt as well, and I had to admit that I wanted to run up and button it for him; it was driving me nutty!

Phil - I do think he's growing his hair out, or he's going with the stubble look for a while. Didn't Chris Daughtry also do that when he was on the show? Again, I thought the judges were way too tough on Phil. His voice sounded great to me.

Melinda - definitely her best performance. I liked her hair straight too. I was wishing she would wear jeans and a sweater, like she did when she met with Tony Bennett. He looks thinner and younger - more hip I guess.

Chris and Jordin - I thought they both sounded good, but I definitely don't have your ear.

Gina - I was so happy for her; she did so well and the judges liked her. I thought her hair was kind of neat, but it did draw a lot of my attention.

Sanjaya - Did he really say that! Oh my goodness, that is just creepy! I agree, last week was much less scary. At least I felt sorry for him before, now I just think he's a punk.

Haley - outfit - disgusting! Charlie mentioned again how his dad is always commenting about her - gross!!!! I know what you mean about the judges. I got the feeling that they didn't have much nice to say so they didn't say anything. Paula "green is your color" or whatever she said. Yeah, I don't think it's about the color of the dress ...

Lakisha - I liked her attitude in this one. I didn't care for the dress though. It was a little too curtainish. i think it needed a slit up the side or something.

Overall, I thought they did well with a kind of boring genre - in my humble opinion.

Hugs! Tracy

Tracy said...

I meant that Melinda looked thinner, younger and more hip in jeans and a sweater ...

Beth said...

Hey Andrew! We miss you, too. I hope everything is going good for you!

Yeah, I know I know. I just mentioned on my myspace site that I needed to blog about something besides Idol. I just do this for fun during the AI season.

Check out the sumner life website for news about the church! Come back and visit!