Thursday, March 08, 2007

AI gals - from 8-6

I need to make this snappy - not much time. Forgive my pithiness. (Look it up, it's a good word)

Jordin - I bet Gina G was kicking herself for not picking this song. But alas, Jordin rocked it out with Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker". I thought she did a really good job, and thankfully redeemed herself from the awkward "brother-love" rendition of Reflection from last week that she slaughtered.

Sabrina Sloan - I was a huge fan of Sabrina's, but can I just say that she had not actually gotten better each week? Her voice seems to have gotten worse for some reason. I'm in the minority, but I loved her song choice - I just think she needed to be a little stronger with it... nastier, if you will. Oh well. I don't think she's in too much danger of getting voted off, but what do I know?

Antonella - My mama always taught me that if I didn't have anything nice to say, not to say anything at all. Next!

Haley Scarnato - I'm going to ignore my mama right now and tell you exactly what I think about Haley. (Sorry, mom) If this girl doesn't get voted off, I may puke. Everything in my being cringes when she takes the stage. Her rendition of that horrible song was even more horrible. Ewww. Blech. Gag. Next!

Stephanie Edwards - Ok, so she won my heart the first week with the Prince song. And she did really good last week, even though she sounded just like Beyonce. But, singing like Beyonce to a Chaka Khan song? Huh uh. Her power notes sounded strained, and that hurt me. Are these people worn out? I still like her. I think she has staying power.

Lakisha Jones - Let's consider this: 2 out of 3 weeks, Lakisha has sung songs that have, in essence, said "Don't you dare even think about walking away from me you little man, you!!!!!" She frightens me a little. Yes, she can sing. And yes, she's looking better each week. But, show us your softer side, Lakisha. We all know you have the power.

Gina Glockson - Ok, so last week when Gina decided to resurrect the SAME Heart song that Carrie Underwood had done 2 years ago, I knew it was time for me to take action. So, I got on the American Idol website... went to the message boards for Gina... and SUGGESTED a song by Evanescence. (sp?) I'm proud to say she took my advice, hardee har har, and went with "Sober". This was soooo her style. Although Gina still irks me a tad, I think she is moving in the right direction.

Melinda - What can I say about Melinda that hasn't already been said? She's brilliant. She's cute. She has the stage presence of a hundred performers. My only advice? Do something just a little more contemporary in the coming weeks. Surprise us. We know you have the chops. I dare you to sing a song without smiling.

Here are my ratings for the gals:

1) Melinda
2) Jordin
3) Gina
4) Lakisha
5) Stephanie
6) Sabrina
(LONG PAUSE because they are not even in the same league...)
7) Haley
8) Antonella

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Beth - I am just sick that Sabrina just got voted off instead of Hayley. What is America thinking - seriously!

I wasn't a big Jared fan. I'm kind of glad Phil made it instead of him. Now I'm hoping Sanjaya goes before Sundance!

Tracy said...

Ack! Another week of Sanjaya - really?!

Beth said...

Tracy, I'm in shock, too. It just doesn't make any sense!!!

Kim said...

I'm right there with you girls - Haley? Come on America! Seriously, when she sang "Queen of the Night" it was like a sloshed preppy sorority girl at a party.
I'm bummed about Jared. :(

Beth said...

HA! Kim, that is hilarious!!!

Tracy said...

I'm excited for another night of AI!