Saturday, November 11, 2006

Elton John


I just read an article on Elton John, where he stated that organized religion stirs hate and that if it were up to him, he would ban all organized religion. Obviously, Elton John is gay, which is what spurred his vantage point.

At first, upon reading this article, I was a little peeved. How dare he make a rash statement about a group of people? Isn't that what he wishes to avoid about his own "group"? Right, Elton? Are all gay people the same? I sure hope not, because you are quite obnoxious. Since when does writing dozens of musical hits (whatever) qualify you to speak to the nations? It's music. My daughter writes better songs than you've cranked out in decades. [hopping off soap-box]

After a few seconds of being ticked off, I realized that regardless of how annoying Elton John is... he has a point. I don't like admitting things like this, but it's just true. Christians, particularly American Christians, and very pious and holier than thou... and usually it's the very ones that enjoy pointing out the faults of others that are hiding HUGE skeletons in their very own closets. Perhaps if we did present the gospel the way Jesus intended, by LIVING IT, more people would want to be a follower and believer. Just a thought.

When are Christians going to STOP giving Christ a bad name? When are we truly going to stop glorifying ourselves and start living our lives to the glory of God?

I'm guilty, too. I'm not just pointing fingers. But I am asking a question.

Why are we, as Christians, ineffective??? Why are we not walking in the power of the Holy Spirit so much so that people get healed just from being in our shadow? What have we come to?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear what you're saying, and I don't disagree with you. You were right on the money. But, the whole thing with Elton and so many other high-profile gays and lesbians (think Rosie O'Donnell) ... well, it's such an easy thing for them to dismiss the whole "love the sinner, hate the sin" concept because it makes it easier for them to justify their lifestyle.

Jenni

Kristy Jo said...

Yes, good questions. I've been preaching this as of late in regards to Christians always having the answers and never just a listening ear. Sometimes that all a person needs, not all our great, holy wisdom.